Friday, March 13

Retail Stalkers

12032009(001)

You walk into any shop here and as soon as you’re through the door you feel a little uneasy. There’s something there, a presence…You can feel it hovering and you see flickers of movement in the corner of your eye. It begins to stalk you, slowly shadowing your steps as you peruse the wares. It comes closer, and closer, following your every move until…”Silakannnn!” (go aheaddddd pleaseee!) (which in itself confuses me…Go ahead? really? do I need permission to look? I thought I already was?) and there she is, smiling maniacally, hopeful – the retail stalker aka shop assistant. It’s at this point I, who am completely over this, look at her flatly and politely ask her to stop following me, and that I will let her know if I need her. Usually results in a rather miffed shop girl, stalking off and mumbling to her friends at the back. Doesn’t help when the store is full, and I mean full, of assistants. Check photo above from recent trip to Discovery. Minefield.

3 comments:

Michael Joseph said...

You get these in Thailand too, although, as a foreigner, if I actually show interest in something and want to ask a question, they all magically disappear, since nobody wants to risk embarrassing themselves by their lack of English (little do they know I'm fluent in Thai).

More annoyingly, in Thailand we also have "product consultants" in supermarkets. You find them mostly in the toiletries aisles. They're put there by the manufacturers to help push their products, but they mostly end up standing around talking to each other, and blocking access to the products they're supposed to be selling.

balibaby said...

...and do they spend all day applying said toiletries on themselves and effectively ignoring customers? Or is that just here?

Qie said...

Hahahah!!!! Soma, ini bener banget!!! hahahaha

I feel very very annoyed with those SPG hehehe...